Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Keane insists he is ready for management return











Roy Keane has vowed to return to football management when the time and the club is right.

The former Manchester United captain has been out of work since January when he was sacked by Ipswich Town.

Keane, who has dismissed talk of working in Australia or New Zealand as 'nonsense’ says he is enjoying his longest break from the game, but could be ready to make a return next season. And he says he has learned mistakes from his spell at Portman Road.

He said: 'I want a club to take to the very top. Sunderland was so close, even in my third season there, we just had a few poor results which every manager goes through.'

`I am a young manager, and you are always learning tactically. I would have to look at my staff, that is a vital part of football management, and you need to work with good players, that helps. And we had some really good players at Sunderland.

'You need good characters. I would learn from my mistakes particularly at Ipswich and I think potentially I could be a good manager. But potential is one thing. Going out and doing it is something very different.

'If you don’t make mistakes, you never learn. I had a three month break after Sunderland and Ipswich felt right. My only regret is I agreed to take it before I met the chief executive, I won’t be doing that again.

'Sometimes the DNA doesn’t work and doesn’t suit. Look at Roy Hodgson, and I’m not comparing myself to him, but him at Liverpool, the dynamics were not right and Ipswich in the end was just not right and the chief executive role is vital when you are working with someone so closely.

'I have been out for a couple of months and I am enjoying my bit of time off because part of my problem, is when I am involved, I am involved 100 per cent and that takes its toll on you; not that I am going to keel over but it is time to re-charge the batteries and take stock and see what is round the corner.

'A club might give me an opportunity but if it doesn’t come I have some freedom and I will make the most of that.’

No comments:

Post a Comment