Monday, April 18, 2011

'moment of madness' forces resignation of New Zealand under-17 coach

The Philadelphia Daily News reports on the behavior of New Zealand Under-17 coach Steve Cain, which forced him into resignation.

WE'VE OBSERVED some stupid coaches in our time - Rich Kotite comes to mind - but Steve Cain just went to the head of the line.

He's the former coach of New Zealand's U-17 soccer team who told that country's Sunday News that he resigned last week because he had emailed a photo of his genitals to the mother of a 16-year-old player he had cut.

The 52-year-old Cain said the woman began sending him suggestive emails in 2009.

"There were suggestions about perhaps meeting and doing things sexual. I never responded," Cain told the Sunday News. "I deleted them. I was quite shocked. She kept pressing me to send her something back.

"I had to change my email address. My family has access to my account, my children check my emails for me occasionally. She was sending explicit material."

Last April, Cain said that after "a few beers and [in] a moment of madness" he emailed her a picture of his stomach, which happened to partially show his genitals.

Don't you hate when that happens?

"It was just a picture taken at sink-level in a hotel mirror," he said.

Guess he forgot he had a wife and kids while snapping that shot.

The only person dumber than Cain is Frank van Hattum, the director of New Zealand football.

Yesterday, when asked if Cain could someday return to coaching van Hattum told the Dominion Post of Wellington, New Zealand, "I don't see why not."



No comments:

Post a Comment