Thursday, January 6, 2011

Leonardo: 'I'm not a traitor'


New Inter Milan coach Leonardo denies that his appointment at the bitter city rival of his former club, AC Milan, is a kick in the teeth to his former employers.

The Brazilian spent just one season at the AC Milan helm, guiding it to third in Serie A. But the 1994 World Cup champion played for AC Milan in 1997-2001 and later served the club as scout and technical director. He replaces Rafael Benitez, fired by Inter in December after less than six months in charge.

"I'm totally comfortable with what I did in red and black (Milan's colors)," Leonardo said. "I know that I'm not a traitor and this serenity allows me to respect and accept the judgements of others."

Reigning champion Inter, who also won the Champions League and Coppa Italia last season under Jose Mourinho, is in seventh place in Serie A, 13 points behind leaders AC Milan but with two games in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment