Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Berhalter Becomes Player-Coach


Gregg Berhalter has signed a one-year contract extension with the Los Angeles Galaxy, the club announced Tuesday, with the defender's duties expanded to those of a player-coach.

The 37-year-old, who participated in both the 2002 and 2006 World Cups under Bruce Arena, will now join Galaxy GM and head coach Arena's staff as an assistant coach. Berhalter recently completed his USSF “B” coaching license to join Dave Sarachan, Cobi Jones, and Ian Feuer on the coaching staff.

“I want to thank Bruce for giving me that opportunity,” Berhalter said in a release. “It’s not that often that a player has both of those responsibilities so I’m excited. It shouldn’t be much different from my role on the field. It’s using my experience and my leadership to help in another capacity, I think that will be good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment