Thursday, June 3, 2010

USA could have used Subotic


As the USA tries to shore up a suspect backline before the World Cup, the "loss" of Neven Subotic becomes all the more frustrating. The 21-year-old, who represented the USA at the 2005 World Cup, will be playing for Serbia.

Ives Galarcep reports on the one that got away.

"The main point that I based my decision on was my heritage, origin and family," Subotic said via e-mail. "It was a step back to my birthplace. I was always different than the American kids because my parents were from Yugoslavia. I was raised a different way all my life, and even though my family and I learned to love the U.S., we were still Serbs."

Subotic has starred at Borussia Dortmund since leaving his Florida home and is one the most highly coveted young defenders in European soccer. He has been the subject of eight-figure transfer rumors and linked to prestigious clubs such as Manchester United and Arsenal.

(Subotic was born in Bosnia-Herzegovina to Serbian parents. The family moved to Germany when he was 18 months old, and to the USA when he was 11. He made his debut for Serbia in March 2009 after having his bid to play for Germany turned down because he did not meet citizenship requirements.)

No comments:

Post a Comment