Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Capello - "It's Not A Revolution"


England coach Fabio Capello said defender John Terry -- deposed as captain before the World Cup because of off-field behavior -- had let down his teammates by effectively implicating them in a perceived coup that was due to take place at a meeting on Sunday evening. Fellow players reacted in dismay when becoming aware of his comments leaving Terry, who has since apologized, exposed.

Capello was asked whether England was headed to player revolt such as erupted in the France camp, where players walked out on a training session. The Italian said, "No, it's not a revolution. It's one mistake from one player, no more. I read yesterday that John Terry said this. I don't understand why he doesn't speak with me every time."

Terry had said that Joe Cole should start against Slovenia. "I think he's more disappointed some players because, when you speak, you have to speak privately, not with the media," Capello said. "This is the big mistake. This is very big mistake. I know sometimes some players want to speak more with the media than with the other players. The mistake is you have to speak with the players, with me, with the dressing room.

"I spoke with some players, and only John Terry said this. No one spoke with me about problems. My door is open always if they want to speak with me. They can. Every time we have a meeting I ask the captain: '[Are there any] problems? You want to say something?' Never. But I hope that from the big mistake comes out a big performance."

No comments:

Post a Comment