Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Howard calls it like it is


Tim Howard is a tremendous leader for the US team, and is not afraid to hold teammates accountable when things aren't going well.




"There's no time for saying 'next time' or 'unlucky' when a mistake is made. At this level, when I say something, I want it done then and there because if (a mistake) doesn't punish you, you've gotten lucky," said Howard, who is expected to play Friday against Slovenia.

When he's not wearing a long-sleeved jersey with No. 1 on his back, Tim Howard is Ron Howard nice. "A super guy; great family," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said.

However, when Howard steps into his office, in front of an 8-by-24-foot net, he becomes, well, fiery.

"He's got that alter ego going," said his close friend, Tim Mulqueen, who coached Howard in youth and pro soccer. "For such an easygoing, fun-loving family man off the field, on the field he's about as ruthless a competitor as it comes, in a good way. He's going to hold the guys in front of him accountable as much as he holds himself accountable.

"He'll be the first one to raise his hand and say, 'I screwed that one up.' And he'll be the first guy to say to his defenders, 'Thanks, you saved my bacon on that one.' "

When a defensive breakdown occurs, a TV camera frequently catches Howard in mid-scream. "I say things very directly and very aggressively," he said. "Not everyone can handle that, but they need to take out what I'm saying, not how I'm saying it. I'm going to give it to you straight. You're not going to like it, but I don't like what's going on either."

No comments:

Post a Comment