Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dunga deals with pressures of being Brazil's coach


Dunga, who skippered the team to glory in the United States in 1994, was a tough, uncompromising player and has transferred those qualities into coaching.

Despite the challenges of playing in a World Cup final, Dunga insisted that he is under greater pressure and unrelenting scrutiny as coach.


Dunga's Brazilians begin their bid for a sixth world title in the 2010 World Cup against North Korea with the coach battling a sceptical media and public over tactics which have been widely condemned as a betrayal of the team's extravagant principles.

But he insists his critics have got it wrong.

"When I was a player I faced great challenges. Today I am more prepared than when I was a player. I have a great responsibility, but the most important thing is to sleep well so I can take the best decisions," he said.

"As a coach, the pressure is greater. But when you succeed, the joy is greater."

Dunga added he is losing patience with his critics who have become more vocal since the team's arrival in South Africa where training sessions have been closed to the press.

That in itself has sparked a bitter public slanging match between Dunga and the country's media who he has accused of wanting the team to fail.

"This always happens with Brazil. Take the period since 1990. Brazil hadn't won the the Copa America since 1949 and then won it four times since 1997. We didn't win the World Cup for 24 years, then we won it in 1994 and 2002," said Dunga.

"Every time I see more and more people and journalists expressing their opinions. Me, I want to win."

Dunga believes his record stands up to examination.

"My team has scored over 100 goals. There is creativity and balance, but there are critics because of training behind closed doors, because there are no one-on-one interviews, no dinner with five players."

He also defended his decision to keep practice sessions away from the prying eyes of the media.

"They are not closed training sessions, but private. I want players to concentrate at training. It's a new way of working. I am told that I lack creativity, but at least this gives you something creative to write."

No comments:

Post a Comment