Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mourinho arrives at Real Madrid


Jose Mourinho, fresh off winning the European Champions League with Inter Milan, arrived as Real Madrid, becoming its 11th coach in the past seven years. Mourinho said it was too early to talk about which players he intended to bring into the squad that failed to win a trophy last season.

"I don't want to talk about names, it is too early," Mourinho said. "Every word, [costs] 1 million euros more. Ten words, 10 million euros. So, we should not talk about players. The club is happy with the basic squad from last year and so am I. We don't need enormous or dramatic changes. We need three or four players for the coach to have a team that can adapt to his ideas."

Mourinho said he toured the club's trophy room with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez. "When we walked past [Madrid's] last European Cup, the president said he missed it," Mourinho said. "I said: 'I only won my last one 10 days ago and I miss that too." (Real Madrid lifted its last of a record nine in 2002.)

"I can't promise that we [will win the European Cup]. But I can promise that when we go into the draw, although we won't be seeds we won't be scared. The teams that will be scared will be the teams that could get us. They're the unlucky ones. We have an incredible history in the European Cup and an incredible negative history recently. I dream of going to Wembley. Real Madrid and I both want the same thing right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment