Saturday, April 3, 2010

Onalfo Path to Major League Soccer Management


Curt Onalfo has had a unique path to his current job as the Head Coach of DC United.

Having lived in Brazil, Australia and Connecticut while growing up; was a cog in the University of Virginia's emerging dynasty in college soccer; played in the Under-20 World Cup and the Olympics as a US youth international; competed in Mexico's second division and then in the first MLS Cup with the Los Angeles Galaxy as a professional.

And when Onalfo confronted his most formidable opponent, Hodgkin's lymphoma, he used soccer as a source of motivation to resume his playing career and ultimately climb the coaching ladder from an MLS assistant to the U.S. World Cup staff and then to top positions with the Kansas City Wizards and now with DC United.

Steven Goff of the Washington Post writes of Onalfo's path to management in Major League Soccer, as well as how he has drawn strength from the adversity he has been dealt in his life.

"My attitude is that I am always going to make the best of every situation and I expect to instill that into my team," he said. "I don't allow negativity. I don't have time for it. We find solutions. My teams will always find ways to be successful."

No comments:

Post a Comment