Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mind Games Won't Work on Ancelotti


Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been notorious for sending messages to his opposition through the media.

With Chelsea in the pole position to take the English Premier League title, Carlo Ancelotti doesn't believe that Ferguson's mind games will work on his club.

After watching his side draw 0-0 at Blackburn on Saturday, Ferguson said Chelsea would just have to win an "easy game" against Bolton on Tuesday to go four points ahead and put on hand on a trophy United has won the past three seasons.

While the comment might still serve to fire up Bolton, Ancelotti insists there is no chance it will lull his players into complacency when they step onto Stamford Bridge on Tuesday evening.

"At this moment of our season, nobody can make us lose our concentration or determination to win the title, only we can do this," Ancelotti said. "I think it's impossible that can happen. We have worked all season to be in the situation we're in now. I hope Alex is correct but I don't think so as every game is difficult to play."

Ancelotti said he would gladly leave the press talk to his "clever" rival and focus on winning this match and the remaining four to come in the league run-in.

"Maybe you can say it will be easy but I haven't played an easy game this season. No, it's mind games, Ferguson is clever. But I don't think that works, I've never done them. On paper, we are favourites against Bolton. But only on paper. It's normal that Chelsea will win in theory but we need to achieve this.

"I don't think my players think we've got to play an easy game. I would like them to think it's a very, very important game. Maybe the most important game of our season. If we win, we can go four points ahead of Manchester United. My players must be focused on this."

No comments:

Post a Comment