Saturday, April 3, 2010

Gomez Re-creates Himself in Mexico


Nevada native Herculez Gomez, hadn't scored more than five goals in an MLS season since he struck 11 for the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2005. After stints in Colorado and Kansas City, he joined Mexican First Division club Puebla FC lasts January and has scored seven goals in 12 games.

Gomez compared MLS to the Mexican league: "No matter what I say the MLS fans are going to say Mexico sucks and it's easier, while Mexican fans believe MLS is easier. It’s just ridiculous to me. They’re completely different. You’re talking two completely different styles.

"It's a lot more technical here [in Mexico]. All of them know how to handle a ball. The number one thing is Mexican teams have a lot more money to spend on players. You see these great players coming here because of the resources teams have here. MLS has quality. People here might not respect MLS, but both leagues have a lot of qualities."

Ives Galarcep of Fox Soccer catches up with Gomez, who compared the standard of soccer in Mexico to Major League Soccer.

"I’ve learned so much more from my failures than I have my successes and I think everything I’ve gone through in MLS has prepared me for this moment. I’m thankful for everything MLS did for me. It made me not only made me a good soccer player, but a good person. ... Soccer’s been fun again and I’m just enjoying it."


No comments:

Post a Comment