Friday, March 12, 2010

Will Davies Be Back for the World Cup?


Charlie Davies' injuries suffered in a car crash this past fall left US National Team fans to wonder whether one of their chief attacking threats would be able to play again, let alone this summer in the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

After reading Soccer America's Paul Kennedy's report on Davies' status, it sounds like he might be back up and playing by April.

Charlie Davies is into his third week of rehabilitation at the CERS de Capbreton, the sports training center in in southwestern France. He spends more than five hours each day training at the center, where Chelsea stars Michael Essien and Ashley Cole are also rehabbing, and hopes to be playing games by the end of April. Davies described his routine to his club Sochaux's web site ...

Davies described his routine to his club Sochaux's web site ...


"I wake up at 7:30 for breakfast and then I go back to my room at 8:00 to listen to some music till nine. At that time I have to be downstairs in the gym. I work out for an hour and have to go to another gym to do cardio for 45 minutes on the treadmill. I have to go to the pool for half an hour at 11:00. After the pool, I go to another gym where I get therapy for my elbow for the full 30 minutes. At 12:00, we have lunch and hang out with the guys. Ashley Cole and Mickael Essien are also here for their rehabilitation. It’s good to have some fellow professionals over here. That’s great!


"At two o’clock, I start a session outside which consist: running, cutting and agility for an hour. At 3:00, I go for lifting in the gym again. This time for my legs and my arms, trying to get my left arm stronger after all the problems I had with my elbow. At 4:00, I’m back in the gym till 5:00. And at the end, at 5:00, it’s massage or pool. Yes, it’s a pretty eventful day. We end with a dinner at 7:00. Apart from that you don’t have anything else to do. This is like it every day."


Davies hopes to rejoin his teammates in training soon.


"By the end of next week, I’ll think I’ll be pretty confident to end up joining the team again in training. That will be probably a bit frustrating in the beginning, to train with the guys, but each day that I get to touch the ball, it will become easier and easier. So I can say that things are going well."


He says being able to sprint is his main goal.


"If I can sprint and be as fast as I have been before by next week, I’ll be extremely happy!"


The injury that has taken the longest to heal is his fractured left elbow, into which he had placed plates and screws.


"It’s close back to normal as far as flexion, maybe just five degrees off. Getting it really straight is still a bit difficult but it’s going much better. It’s fine for me to play football with so I’m happy with that."


He expects to get extra work with Sochaux fitness coach Cedric Bloome when he returns.

"I want to be as comfortable as I can in an as short amount of time. I’m hoping to be back as soon as possible and to play some matches by the end of April."

No comments:

Post a Comment