Thursday, March 25, 2010

Back to Work


Charlie Davies is back to training with Sochaux, and it appears that it is a matter of time that he will be able to get back in form to join his US teammates in the 2010 World Cup this summer in South Africa.

Davies sat down with Arch Bell from Yanks Abroad to update his training and health status.

"Right now I'm training individually so this week it is all about fitness," Davies told YA Wednesday. "I ran three miles on Monday and four miles today. Next week I'll be doing ball work and then the week after I'll do both fitness and ball work and by the fourth week hope to be back training with my teammates."

The looming question for both Sochaux and US national team fans is the exact timeframe Davies is facing before he makes a return to game action.
As badly as the former Hammarby man wants to return to the field, he cautions that it is still uncertain when his coach Francis Gillot will be able to slot him in the team's gameday roster.

"The only thing that has been discussed between me and the coach is just how quickly can I get back," explained Davies. "There isn't an exact plan of when I'll be back playing in matches."

Another point of concern that has been voiced by fans is how Davies will react in a game-like atmosphere where he will be expected to make sharp cuts and absorb tackles from defenders.
Luckily for the former Boston College standout, the early returns on his technical skills have been very good and if anything, he plans to welcome the first solid tackle he sustains from an opponent.

"I had a technical session yesterday and I was able to do all the things I used to do technically so that was good," he continued. "I'm really not worried about cutting or my agility on the field. " "I feel like those are my strengths. I'm just really curious to see where I will be from a playing perspective overall." "I'm not worried about being tackled...I have metal in my legs!" he chuckled. "I'll know that I've made it back when I absorb that first tackle and I'm actually looking forward to getting that first hit and being knocked down and getting right back up."

No comments:

Post a Comment