Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nuttall's energy & enthusiasm is contagious


Richie Nuttall is a model of the kind of enthusiasm and energy that every coach should possess. In his 22 years at Hofstra University, his teams have played with that same form of enthusiasm and passion that is obviously contagious from the top down through their team.

When you walk into Hofstra Soccer Stadium for a men’s soccer contest, you may be hard pressed to pick out the head coach of the Pride. Richard Nuttall is entering his twenty-second season as head coach of the Hofstra Pride men’s soccer team, but Nuttall looks more like a retired fullback than a one-time English Football League player. That was not always the case though.

“I remember the first time we played Hofstra in Rich’s first year,” recalls 27 year Towson head coach Frank Olszewski. “After warm-ups I went looking for their coach to introduce myself and there wasn’t anyone who looked like a coach there. All of sudden this guy walks up in full game uniform dripping in sweat, shakes my hand and says ‘I’m Richard Nuttall, the new soccer coach.’ And let me tell you, he could run with those kids.”

No comments:

Post a Comment