Monday, September 13, 2010

Confident Mourinho shrugs off Bernabeu jeers


New Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho shrugged off the jeers from the Santiago Bernabeu crowd who weren't impressed by a workmanlike 1-0 win over Osasuna. Real Madrid had opened its first season under Mourinho with a scoreless tie.

"The public can jeer if they want and I can respect it," said Mourinho. "I work for the total satisfaction of the public and they pay me to work and not to criticize the fans. I will never say anything against the fans of Real Madrid. Is it only at the Bernabeu where they demand more? I don't know any supporters of any big clubs that settle for less. It is nothing new for me."

Real supporters jeered the team off the field after a flat, scoreless first-half display. But there were postives: The performance of German international midfielder Mesut Ozil, who was given a standing ovation; Cristiano Ronaldo made a fast recovery from an ankle injury and played the full 90 minutes; archrival and defending champ Barcelona lost, 2-0, to newly promoted Hercules.

No comments:

Post a Comment