Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mancini: We must emulate United's dressing room

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has demanded his players follow the lead of their rivals from the United camp and stop making public complaints.

Roberto Mancini, Manchester City

GettyImages

Roberto Mancini wants his players to bring their complaints to him

Mancini: No bust up with Adebayor

Mancini described as "impossible" the current habit of City players airing their frustrations in the media when they aren't selected as the Italian tries to muster some form of control over his bulging squad of internationals.

First it was Craig Bellamy, who was quickly loaned out to Cardiff. Stephen Ireland also launched a vicious assault after being sold to Aston Villa as part of the deal which saw James Milner move the other way. More recently, Shay Given and Emmanuel Adebayor have been at the centre of stories upon which Mancini has been compelled to comment.

Mancini wants to emulate the culture in place at Manchester United and Chelsea where players more readily accept their roles. He wants his players to understand that trophies can only be won by a strong squad, but that a strong squad means competition for places and rotation of players in and out of the team.

"I played football. Sometimes I had this behaviour. I can understand it, so it is not frustrating for me,'' Mancini said ahead of his side's Carling Cup trip to West Brom on Wednesday. "But at the same time it is important they start to change their mentality. If they want to become a top squad and a top team they must change it. It is impossible that every three days players do interviews complaining that they are not playing.

"They need to knock on my door and speak with me so I can explain the situation. I want to create an atmosphere like they have at Chelsea and Manchester United but maybe it is easier for them to accept it because they have had success.

"The players must be aware I am not choosing 11 players because the others are not good. In three days' time we have another match, so I can change it again. The players have to understand this. Sometimes there might be a tactical reason; for instance, I don't have Aleksander Kolarov and Jerome Boateng at the moment so I can't play with three strikers."

No comments:

Post a Comment