Thursday, April 30, 2009

Preki makes changes without 'tinkering'


Where I referenced a couple of weeks ago the similarities between former Chelsea manager Claudio 'the tinkerman' Rainieri and current New York Red Bulls manager Juan Carlos Osorio, it seems like Chivas USA manager Preki has found success while forced to make changes to his team.


Jeffrey King of MLSnet.com reports that in Chivas USA's first seven matches of 2009, Preki has used seven different starting lineups. Whether because of injury, national team duty, or suspension, the Red-and-White have had a different look every time they've played.

The rotating lineup doesn't seem to have hampered Chivas USA's success, as the team currently sits in first place in MLS.

"Using different lineups can be hard," said striker Justin Braun. "As you play with each other more and more, you start learning people's tendencies and every time the lineup changes, you have to adapt pretty quickly.

"But I think we've done a good job with it. We're getting the results, so something's going right."

Much of the success of Chivas USA's ever-changing lineups rests in the players' ability to perform well in more than one spot on the field, or to even learn a new position entirely.

"When I came here, I knew I was going to be used in different positions," said Atiba Harris. "I'm used to it. Wherever the coach wants me to play, I'll play. It's not really too much of a challenge to switch positions."

No comments:

Post a Comment