Monday, April 13, 2009

Essien is the consummate team player


Chelsea's Michael Essien is as valuable a player there is in his team's quest for titles in England and in Europe, and it is not just in his ability to score goals out of the midfield.

He did score a valuable goal against Juventus in the last leg of the UEFA Champions League to help Chelsea advance to the quarterfinals, but it is his versatility, unselfish attitude and single-minded focus on winning that makes him the key component for Chelsea success.

"Everybody said I must have been very happy with the goal, but for me, it is all about the team work," said Essien.

"We did a good job in Turin and it was a very positive result, so that is what is most important. I don't play for myself, I play for the team."

"I'd describe myself as a box-to-box midfielder, but I'll always respect the manager's decision, wherever I'm picked to play."

"Against Juventus it was a tactical move to put me on the right to try to stop the runs of Pavel Nedved."

"I always listen to the manager and I just go onto the field for every game and do what he asks me to do. So I don't really mind where I play as long as I'm out there doing a job for the team and the manager."

Essien's versatility was on display this past week in the 3-1 UEFA Champions League quarterfinal victory over Liverpool, as he shackled Liverpool star Steven Gerrard and kept him from imposing himself in the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment