Friday, May 14, 2010

An Angry Davies Responds


Charlie Davies is obviously upset and frustrated about not being released by his club Sochaux, and has been venting through the media.


"I'm very angry because I feel FC Sochaux has denied me a chance at playing in the World Cup," Davies said on the French radio station RMC's "Luis Attaque!", former French star and coach Luis Fernandez's program, on Wednesday night. "Of course, I'm not at 100 percent now, but I feel that by the time our World Cup camp starts next week I would be at a level where I can compete for one of the forward spot."

"It's frustrating because for the past months I've been training with the team," Davies said. "At the beginning, it was not so well but I've progressed a lot, I continue to progress, I still have to progress but I'm definitely ready to play."

"A month left in the season, the president said to press that I wouldn't play for Sochaux this season," said Davies. "He did it without talking to me, without talking to the doctors, without talking to the coaches."

As Americans and US Soccer fans, we are all obviously disappointed that Charlie will not be with the team in South Africa. He is one of our chief scoring threats, and offers pace that no other player in Bob Bradley's pool can match.

I can understand Davies' frustration - every player dreams of playing in a World Cup, and our team is a lot better when he is playing than when he isn't.

Saying that, it is probably time for Charlie to keep his comments to himself, and become a consummate professional that will help our national team in future World Cups. Each player is an investment to their club, and I can see where a club president wouldn't want to release a player who was in a car accident only 7 months ago and jeopardize his potential to return to Sochaux for the start of this next French League 1 season.

I have received comments from angry US fans about Sochaux not working with the US team and Charlie, but they have to take care of themselves, too.

I can absolutely see both sides, but what's done is done...we need to move on with our focus on the current group of players who will help the US in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment