Sunday, March 8, 2009

Good coaches never stop learning


Jon Gruden went from Super Bowl Champion with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to out of work last month.

Some coaches in this same situation would pack up and hide - not Gruden, the consummate perfectionist that demands as much from himself as he did from his players.

As Chris Harry from the Orlando Sentinel reports, Gruden still gets up for work each morning at 3:17AM, trying to get better.

"You know, the thing I'm really struggling with, I miss football. So thank God for Tim Marcum. . . . I go down there, I got my Beta cam, all my films and got people in the league who have sent me stuff to study. . . . I hit the pad on the Ice Palace, man, it's the most beautiful facility. I love it. It's the first place I ever saw Bon Jovi. I go in there and he's afforded me a chance to study film. He comes in, we watch tape. [I know] some college coaches and I've already, in my own sick mind, budgeted time for this and this and this and this, and I'm going to learn a lot about the spread offense, and about college football. I already know the questions I'm going to ask. I'm going to do clinics. I'm going to do appearances, but more than anything else I'm going to do research."

No comments:

Post a Comment