Saturday, March 7, 2009

Can Maradona lead Argentina?


Being a great player doesn't always translate into being a great coach or manager - numbers of superstars in sport have had varied results when they have tried their hands in management, and Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Charlton found it hard to replicate their playing pedigree.

Now, Diego Maradona hopes to emulate the success of Jurgen Klinsmann (Germany) and Marco van Basten (Holland) - two other stars of his era - as he embarks into international management. Never short on confidence, Maradona feels that he has the right blueprint for success in place.

"I have proved to myself that I can lead a group, and I know that (ex-manager Carlos) Bilardo will show me if I'm doing it wrong," he said on Goal.com. "I am awake at 4am designing a team. I grabbed el Bilardismo for this. But all the teams I thought of are so attacking."

With attacking tactics like the potential of playing a 3-3-1-3 and the personnel that includes Mascherano and Riquelme in his midfield, Maradona feels that all the pieces are in place for continential and international success.

No comments:

Post a Comment