Friday, March 20, 2009

Lessons learned about being cool under crisis


Regardless as to whether the allegations of Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas spitting at Hull City personnel is found to be true or not, Hull manager Phil Brown shared that he had learned a valuable lesson through the experience.

Very few managers in the fishbowl that Brown is in would admit to behaving rash, but he felt that post-game interviews while emotions are still running high is something he needs to assess before doing again in the future.

"It's a leaning curve for me as a young manager at this level," he told Sky Sports News.

"The emotions of the game were still running through the veins of my body for the next 24 hours, that's for me and Brian Horton and the players."

"To do any kind of interview straight after the game I will probably have to look at that."

I have always felt that it is almost impossible to make rational decisions so quickly after a match, to the point where I don't like to even comment to my own players that soon after a game - until I get to settle down, watch the video of the match, and put together more rational thoughts.
For any competitor, the heat of the game can force you to act more with your heart than your head; in most cases, whether you are coaching young children or managing an English Premier League club, cooler heads under crisis always prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment