Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gattuso gets four match ban for headbutt


AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso received a four match suspension from UEFA on Monday for headbutting Spurs coach Joe Jordan in last week's Champions League Last 16 first leg clash.

He was already suspended for the second leg after being booked.

AC Milan told AFP that the player would not be making any reaction to the punishment and that they were not going to appeal.

The suspension means that Gattuso will not be available for Champions League action until the final - should Milan reach it.

Gattuso cut a frustrated figure during the 1-0 defeat to Tottenham at the San Siro and regularly squared up to beanpole striker Peter Crouch after challenges between the pair.

He also argued with Jordan on the touchline before pushing the former Milan player in the neck.

It was after the game that the Italian - who had a spell playing for Rangers and married a Scotswoman - ran over to confront Jordan again before head-butting the 59-year-old.

Gattuso had last week apologised for his actions, though, he said he had been provoked throughout the game by Jordan.

"I lost my head and I'm taking responsibility because I did something I shouldn't have done," said the fiery midfielder, a World Cup winner in 2006.

"Jordan was breaking my balls throughout the second half but that doesn't justify my reaction.

"I was annoyed about the words I'd exchanged with Jordan. We were both speaking Scottish given that I played in his country in Glasgow but I'm not going to say what was said.

"I made a mistake doing what I did to an older person, and that's it."

No comments:

Post a Comment