Friday, December 11, 2009

Players, coaches create atmosphere


Did you ever wonder what factors were important to a college prospect selecting a school? For Akron freshman goalkeeper David Meves, it was the feel he got from the players and coaches that created the atmosphere that made him choose to play for Caleb Porter and the Zips.

Meves also considered Indiana, Wake Forest and UCLA during the recruiting process before selecting UA.

''I visited a lot of schools before Akron, but when I got here, I liked the feel of the campus and the coaches,'' Meves said. ''The biggest thing for me was hanging out with the team. It felt like a family and everyone was together and having a good time. The feel of family was important to me.''

Playing for a coach who could help develop you as a player is also a key component. For Blain Gavin, playing for someone with extensive collegiate and professional experience made it an easy choice.

Gavin is familiar with Wake Forest and Virginia because he considered those schools during the recruiting process. He chose the Zips because of Porter's ''views on soccer and his style of play.''

''Caleb was a defensive midfielder, and he could teach me the role,'' Gavin said. ''I want to be the best player I can become and I felt with him as my coach and my mentor that that would happen.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/79034432.html

No comments:

Post a Comment