Monday, July 27, 2009

Warzycha stays calm under crisis


Columbus Crew head coach Robert Warzycha worked through a seven game winless streak to start his MLS coaching career, but rather than go into panic mode, he was able to stay cool under pressure to work the team back towards the top of the East.


"I was never thinking I was going to be out of a job before I ever got to coach," Warzycha said. "But the thing is, if some bad things happen, it's not just one thing that is coming. It's like they throw a few other things at you, and it's like what's going to happen next?"

The players clearly didn't believe that the man who has played and coached more games than any in franchise history was wrong for the job; there wasn't the slightest hint that they thought the coaching change had caused the team's bad start.

Warzycha didn't either, although he says now that as the winless streak grew, his public insistence that everything would be all right wasn't always expressed in private with the same cool head.

"That was a rough time because you start wondering," he said. "You start waking up in the middle of the night and asking yourself what you can do to help the team, what you can do to get better. Should I change? Should I stick with it? There are a lot of questions, a lot of questions. Sometimes, I'd go for a long jog just to clear my mind."


No comments:

Post a Comment