Monday, January 16, 2012

"Shay will go back between the sticks and we explained to Brad that our No. 1 goalkeeper is Shay. Brad didn't necessarily agree but Shay is my first-choice goalkeeper. Football is cruel at times, although Brad's been magnificent. It's the first time I've had a chance to see him in high-profile games and I've been really delighted. He understood, he didn't like it and he didn't necessarily agree, but he's a proper gentleman. I wasn't going to drop it on him five minutes before kickoff, so there's a mutual respect there and I think he's earned that respect."

-- Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish on his decision to put Irish international Shay Given back in goal, where American Brad Guzan had been a standout during his first extended run in the EPL that conincided with Given being sidelined because of a hamstring injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment