Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wrong turn forces Di Canio to complete Swindon run

Paolo DiCanio was always considered a little eccentric as a player, and he hasn't seemed to change from being a little off-balance now as the manager of Swindon Town.

The 43-year-old Italian, who ended his 23-year playing career in 2008, unwittingly completed the town's half marathon after losing his bearings on the fun run course.

He was supposed to sound the horn to start Sunday's main race before completing the two-mile short course, but took a wrong turn and ended up finishing the full 13.1 miles in 1 hour, 49 minutes -- 36 minutes behind race winner Dave Roper.

"I couldn't stop, there was a challenge," he told the BBC. "There were three options, I thought I should start with the fun [run] marathon but unfortunately we changed direction, kept going and followed the first group. Unfortunately I ended up doing a full half-marathon plus 800 meters. At the end I was very happy because I finished without stopping, even for one second. I wasn't ready but I never stopped running."

No comments:

Post a Comment