Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Scholes: I'm not bad at tackling, I was just getting people back

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has insisted he didn't deserve his reputation as a bad tackler, insisting he was simply ‘getting people back’ after they had previously fouled him.

36-year-old enjoyed an illustrious career where he was thought to be the perfect midfielder by many, but fans and pundits alike were very critical of his tackling or lack of ability to tackle, especially towards the end of his playing days.

In an interview with BBC Radio Five live the ex-England international said: “Of course I can tackle. There's plenty of evidence of being able to tackle.

"I was just getting people back. If someone got me early in the game it was always in the back of my mind that I needed to get them back.

“I didn't always do it on purpose, some of it was just bad timing, I suppose.

"But I think throughout my career the record wasn't that bad; there were not that many yellow cards.

“Well, I suppose a few yellow cards, but not many sendings-off. But I think towards the end every time I made one tackle I got booked, because of my reputation I suppose."

No comments:

Post a Comment