Thursday, August 13, 2009

Yannis gets his due

Alex Yannis was the New York Cosmos beat writer for the New York Times during a great time in American soccer, chronicling the exploits of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia in the 1970's.

Despite being a child of the 70's and growing up a devout Cosmos fan, I was also a neighbor of Yannis. It was not uncommon for the day after a Cosmos game, for my brother and I to go up to his home to talk to him about the game and rummage through his photos of our favorite Cosmos players.

There is no question in my mind that he was integral in my own development as a soccer player, coach and enthusiast.

Last month, Yannis was paid his due for what he has given to the game with the ultimate sign of respect as he was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

Rick Carpiniello of the Journal News chronicled Yannis' tremendous ride throughout the US through the game of soccer.

"It's the biggest honor that anyone can bestow upon me at this point," said Yannis, still living in the same house in Tappan. "It's just great. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this was going to happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment