Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bitter taste for Gold Cup holdovers


Losing 5-0 to Mexico in the CONCACAF Gold Cup was a bitter pill to swallow, and three holdovers from that US team have been called in for this important World Cup qualifier tomorrow. Brian Ching, Stuart Holden and Chad Marshall all played key roles for the US in the Gold Cup, and as Soccer America's Ridge Mahoney reports, are looking to set the wheels in motion to vindicate the loss to their bitter rivals.


"I was on the wrong end of that one and it's an experience I don't want to have again," said Holden, 24, who has been summoned to a qualifier for the first time. "I want to be on the winning side of that rivalry. I've seen how passionate it is and how much means to supporters on both sides. For the opportunity of being in the squad for my first World Cup qualifier and especially for it to be in Azteca Stadium, I'm very excited."


No comments:

Post a Comment