Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Schmid: MLS in good shape

Sigi Schmid feels the current state of Major League Soccer is very strong and is confident that the momentum is starting to shift the way of American players.

The Seattle Sounders coach has been involved with the North American domestic league since the late 1990s and has seen a vast improvement over the past decade or so and he says that things are heading in the right direction with a 19th franchise coming in next season among other factors.

"I think the league's good. I think the state of the league's good. I think the quality of play is up, as well,” he said.

“I talked to somebody in regards to a national team coach, just saying how guys playing in the US don't get as much respect as the guy playing in Argentina or the guy playing in Spain does, but it's changing. It's definitely changing and I think that's a good thing for our league.

“I think our league is starting to get more respect from other countries and hopefully from national team coaches, even Ireland and (coach Giovanni) Trapattoni realizing that (Robbie) Keane's form isn't suffering because he's playing in LA.

“I think those are all things important for our league's respect. I think the league's in good position right now. Montreal comes in next year.

“We wish it would be 20 right away so we wouldn't have an uneven schedule but I think this was a good year for the league overall and a good stride forward for the sport of soccer.

“I'm not (MLS Commissioner) Don Garber - he's the one that can address the state of the union, which he will do, I'm sure, in two weeks – but from what I see in my years in the league I think we're in a good place."

No comments:

Post a Comment