Thursday, September 8, 2011

Extra work is key for Oduro's scoring surge

Chicago Fire forward Dominic Oduro has scored five goals in the last six games in all competitions, and credits the additional training he is getting with the Chicago coaching staff for keeping him sharp.


Sam Stejskal checks on the source of the 26-year-old Ghanaian's hot streak.

"It feels amazing,” Oduro told MLSsoccer.com Tuesday. “It’s been an amazing stretch of goals, especially that one in the Open Cup [semifnal win]; that was unbelievable. It shows you how hard work leads to improvement.”

Oduro, who leads the Fire with nine league goals, has been putting in extra time in front of net with interim head coach Frank Klopas and assistant Larry Sunderland, and is seeing the payoff with his recent hot stretch. "I’m working with Frank and Larry in terms of getting in front of goal and making sure I’m doing a good job,” Oduro said. “We’re just working out how to just eliminate all errors when I get in front of goal. It’s just basic stuff, get your head up and try to place it instead of just killing it, and that’s what I’m trying to do this whole time. It’s been a couple of great goals, it’s working for me and if it works why stop it?”

He also credits new midfielder Pavel Pardo, the former Mexican national team star. "Pavel especially will talk to me, work with me, try to create spaces for me and also try to put balls in front of me,” Oduro said. “He’ll take me aside and talk to me about the game plan and everything and there have been a couple of times where he’s been effective in terms of playing balls behind. I’m just glad I have guys here who keep me going when the chips are down."

No comments:

Post a Comment