Monday, June 20, 2011

US advances to CONCACAF Gold Cup Semifinals



The USA advanced to the semifinals of the 2011 Gold Cup on Sunday, beating Jamaica on two second-half goals. It took a deflection for the US to score against LA Galaxy goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, who had already recorded several strong saves. That Jermaine Jones goal fell four minutes into the second-half. A 66th minute red card to Jamaica's Jermaine Taylor shifted the focus, with Clint Dempsey scoring in the 79th and the US ending a strong tournament run from Group B winners Jamaica.

"I was disappointed with my performance against Guadeloupe, that I wasn’t able to finish the chances that I got," Dempsey said. "I wanted to make sure that I came out today and did whatever I could to help the team win, and I was able to get the goal that sealed it."

The United States will get a rematch with Group C winners Panama in the semifinals. Panama advanced 5-3 on penalties after drawing 1-1 with El Salvador. That game is scheduled for Wednesday at 7pm ET.

No comments:

Post a Comment