Monday, December 13, 2010

Wurzberger leaves Huskies after 19 seasons


Citing family reasons, Dean Wurzberger stepped down as the men's coach at the University of Washington after 19 seasons, which made him the longest-tenured coach in the Pac-10.

“After a recent review of my professional and personal goals and future ambitions, I have decided that I will step down from my position of head men’s soccer coach,” Wurzberger said. “While coaching at UW has and always will mean a great deal to me, I have to think about family first in this matter. After engaging the administration in an open dialogue about my family situation and my future professional plans, in the end I think we all came to agree that my decision to resign is in the best interest of both my family and the UW men’s soccer program. I depart very proud of the soccer program I have helped build here over the past 19 years and I have also gained much in regards to developing my coaching skills and increasing my depth of experience.”

Wurzberger, the Huskies’ first-ever full-time head coach, finished with a career record of 220-112-41 with the Huskies and led them to the NCAA Tournament 11 times in the last 15 years.

He previously served as an assistant at UCLA (national champion in 1985) and Santa Clara (runner-up in 1991) and was the head coach of the San Francisco Bay Blackhawks of the American Professional Soccer League for two seasons (1989-90).

No comments:

Post a Comment